• Friday , 17 August 2018
  • Call us 03454 586 480

Registering as Self Employed

If you’re self-employed, you pay Income Tax and National Insurance on what is known as ‘taxable income’. Taxable income is mainly the profits you make from working for yourself (whether as a sole trader or partner). You pay tax not on the entire income of your business but on the difference between that income and what you spend on the business.

If you’re a sole trader or a partner in a business partnership, you need to complete a Self-Assessment tax return. Before you can do this, you need to register for Self-Assessment with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). This is so that the correct tax and Class 2 National Insurance contribution records can be set up.

Once you’ve registered, HMRC will send you a Self-Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference which you’ll need to quote whenever you are in contact with them. The following April HMRC will send you a Notice to complete a tax return.

The deadline by which a tax return must reach HMRC is different depending on whether you choose to send your tax return in on paper or online. If you choose to complete online you can use either the free HMRC service or commercially available software.

There are late filing penalties if you don’t send your tax return in on time.

You may want to consider appointing an accountant or adviser to look after your tax affairs for you. The HMRC website will provide a form for you to do this.

To find out more, and to register, please visit https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment

Contact details HMRC  https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs

HMRC online advice seminars – register on the website below:


HMRC online general learning tool:


Check that you’re paying about the right amount of tax


Contact HMRC:-

Support for New Employers:- https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/employer-enquiries-support-for-new-employers

Employers General Enquiries :-  https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/employer-enquiries

Self-employed Income Tax queries:- https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-self-employed

Self-employed National Insurance enquiries :- https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-enquiries-for-the-self-employed

Newly Self-employed:- https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/newly-self-employed-helpline